Re: throw away society

Auralie,
I understand your frustration with the format changes in music. But
personally I think they are improvements. When I was still hanging on to
my LPs I had to be very careful never to bump the turntable or allow the
balance weight to be messed with. If the stylus didn't come down just
right you could damage it. Along the way it eventually did get damamged
and when I tried to replace the $90 (original price)stylus the price was
$325. A friend got it for me at 1/2 price, but still that was a fortune
at the time. This of course was a better stylus than plain old
'needles', but important if you wanted to get real quality from the
recordings and not damage your vinyl.

Tapes made things easier (I never got into reel to reel or 8 track) but
they did have the knack of getting tangled in equipment, broken, worn
out. And you couldn't select a song to play like you could on an LP.
Copying was easy though with a dual tape deck.

CDs take up less space than LPs, allow for song selection and random
play on multi-disc units. They are easy to copy and their quality is,
for the most part, dependent on your speakers. I can copy any tape, LP,
or even a radio or tv show to a CD and easily make copies via my CD
copier attached to the same amplifier I bought back in 1977. If I had
kids I could attach I microphone to the old amp and have them sing and
copy it to a CD just like my dad did years ago when he had his vinyl
cutting machine.

The nice thing about these advancements is that the players are all
component pieces, so I can still use the old Kenwood amp and the JBL
Decade 36 speakers from the late 70s. You can pick up a portable CD
player for $15 and plug it into a jack on a decent amp (or receiver if
yours is a combo) and get good sound.

I used to make Cmas tapes for friends, but now I do CDs. Easier, faster,
and much better sound quality. Personally I don't mind these
advancements in technology.

Kitty