Re: throw away society

In a message dated 11/21/2003 10:30:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> I understand your frustration with the format changes in music. But
> personally I think they are improvements.

I hear what you're saying, Kitty, and I do have quite a few CDs and a CD
player - even play them on my computer.  But I have several hundred vinyl LPs,
some dating back to the 50s.  I don't play them much any more - the CDs are more
convenient - but every now and then I want hear one of them for some reason.
I don't have the capacity to  burn CDs yet - my DH does but he is so
technophobic I have to show him how to do things in WORD. I do have the capacity to put
the records on tape.  Maybe I'll work up to the other.
  I had to send back the new computer I tried to buy this fall because the
stupid tech "help" who was to set it up said it wouldn't run the program I need
to use for my indexing work.  I have since found out he was wrong, but there
was a time limitation and so back it went.  Maybe this winter when things
settle down a bit I will get back to working things like that out.  It's been a
hectic fall.

  What I really wanted to do - - - my youngest son, at age 40, has produced a
child.  He and his wife say this is going to be a "renaissance baby" and have
decorated his room with mathematical equations and quotes from Shakespeare,
etc.  They have been playing Bach and Mozart for him at bedtime. They had him
enrolled in a "music appreciation" class at six months. I think this is fine,
if a bit over the top, but I said he should also be exposed to all kinds of
music, especially jazz and folk music.  Since I have a good collection of both, I
wanted to make some tapes for them to play as alternatives to the highbrow
stuff.  But if they don't have a tape player, there's no point.  By the time I
get around to making him CDs, he will probably have become a prodigy of some
sort.  I just hope they can relax a bit and let him be a normal child.  The
mother is an engineer - a real, licensed one - and an absolute perfectionist.  I
am just afraid she can't cope with the normal mess and chaos that goes with
small boys.
Auralie - trying to unwind after a very hectic week.