From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 6:25 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] throw away society

In a message dated 11/21/2003 10:30:00 AM Eastern Standard Time,
kmrsy@comcast.net writes:

> I understand your frustration with the format changes in music. But
> personally I think they are improvements.

I hear what you're saying, Kitty, and I do have quite a few CDs and a CD
player - even play them on my computer.  But I have several hundred vinyl
some dating back to the 50s.  I don't play them much any more - the CDs are
convenient - but every now and then I want hear one of them for some reason.

I don't have the capacity to  burn CDs yet - my DH does but he is so
technophobic I have to show him how to do things in WORD. I do have the
capacity to put
the records on tape.  Maybe I'll work up to the other.
  I had to send back the new computer I tried to buy this fall because the
stupid tech "help" who was to set it up said it wouldn't run the program I
to use for my indexing work.  I have since found out he was wrong, but there

was a time limitation and so back it went.  Maybe this winter when things
settle down a bit I will get back to working things like that out.  It's
been a
hectic fall.

  What I really wanted to do - - - my youngest son, at age 40, has produced
child.  He and his wife say this is going to be a "renaissance baby" and
decorated his room with mathematical equations and quotes from Shakespeare,
etc.  They have been playing Bach and Mozart for him at bedtime. They had
enrolled in a "music appreciation" class at six months. I think this is
if a bit over the top, but I said he should also be exposed to all kinds of
music, especially jazz and folk music.  Since I have a good collection of
both, I
wanted to make some tapes for them to play as alternatives to the highbrow
stuff.  But if they don't have a tape player, there's no point.  By the time
get around to making him CDs, he will probably have become a prodigy of some

sort.  I just hope they can relax a bit and let him be a normal child.  The
mother is an engineer - a real, licensed one - and an absolute
perfectionist.  I
am just afraid she can't cope with the normal mess and chaos that goes with
small boys.
Auralie - trying to unwind after a very hectic week.