Re: throw away society

Bonnie, I'm not worried about what he's being exposed to - in my mind, the
more the better.  Our three boys were exposed to all sorts of highbrow culture.
My DH's background is highly academic and intellectual - and mine ain't bad,
either.  I used to read Mallory's King Arthur to the boys in Old English, and
they loved it.  However, all three of them grew up to be "techies" of some
sort, and my husband still can't figure out how it happened.  (I was a math major
in college, and had a far more "earthy" background than his.)
  I would never ever interfere in what they are doing with the child - it's
their child, not mine.  I resented interference from my m-i-l - and, boy did I
get a lot of it.  I'm not too happy about things that have happened in the
lives of some of my other grandkids, or the way some of them are turning out, but
I stay strictly out.   I just feel that this baby is being made too
"precious" and that his mother may be expecting too much of him.  As a child I was made
to feel that I didn't live up to what my mother had been (my mother died when
I was five months old, and her parents brought me up.)  I became a very
independent person, and raised my sons to be individuals.  They haven't always
turned out the way I expected, but they are all very much independent individuals.

Thanks for your concern.        Auralie