Re: Winter & What's in Bloom

Hi, Bonnie. It's like that. Chilly [by Florida standards] at 6 AM when I go to work--now I wear Levis and a jacket to work rather than short pants--but I'm uncomfortably overdressed when I go home at 4 PM. I'm considering moving to someplace where the temperature is more predictable--either the equator [my first choice] or the arctic circle [my last choice--minus one].

On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 06:03 PM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

Jim, that beats the socks off the sleet I woke up to and the spitting snow
with 20mph winds when I left work! Ahhhh. I can almost feel the warmth and
the beauty all the way up to southern Ohio.

Thanks for the respite!

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 8:16 AM
To: Chat
Subject: [CHAT] Winter & What's in Bloom

Winter seems to have arrived. It has been getting down into the low 50s
at night recently. Still in the high 70s, low 80s in the afternoons,
though. And the air is very dry for a change.

Lots of plants are blooming--or still blooming, especially the
allamandas, begonias, Mexican petunias [also called Florida bluebells],
ground orchids, crown of thorns, and various jatrophas. And the
poinsettias are beginning to color up.

Most spectacular now, however, is the Turk's cap, Malvaviscus arboreus.
There is a house not far from the plantation that has a Turk's cap
hedge along the street; must be hundreds, if not thousands, of blooms
on it. Really spectacular.

This is also our bedding plant season. The garden centers at Wal-Mart
and Home Depot are loaded with petunias, impatiens, marigolds,
crossandras, fibrous begonias, dianthus, and so on, as well as
vegetable and herb plants.