Re: throw away society

In a message dated 11/24/2003 6:19:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wmorgan972@ameritech.net writes:

> No doubt, Kitty.  Of course, a high school counselor also told me I
> wouldn't
> need higher math skills as a woman either.  (I'd like to have told him where
> he could put that notion!  LOL!)

The head of the math department when I was in college told me that the only
career open to women in math was to teach - this was when I objected to having
to take education courses.  In a couple of years I was offered a job at the
space center in Huntsville (this was before the first space shots) just because
I had the math combined with library.  (I didn't take the job - went to work
for the Navy in Pensacola instead because my intended's mother lived there.)  I
have often wondered what would have happened had I gone that route.  I didn't
even know then that there were women who were important in the development of
the first computers.  How I would have loved that!  Auralie