RE: OT:now independence/Girl Scouts

Funny you should mention that- I was a girl scout  (and still am a life
member) thoughout school even through high school.  I went to National
Center West, the annual conventions at the state and national level, camped
a ton, met lots of wonderful people, and still have both a vest and sash
covered with badges.  My mom was a leader part of the time, and regardless
of that I still would have gotten my sense of self-reliance from her.  She
did anything that needed to be done inside or outside the house, fixed
things, worked hard, even taught us how to fish and enjoyed all of it.  I am
eternally grateful to her for living like she did and showing us what we
could do.  Oh course as a kid I had no idea this is what she was doing, we
we just living and growing up.  She still is happiest outside in the yard,
and cares for her own small yard, and then goes over to my younger sister's
house and cleans up her garden beds too  (my sister doesn't do much in them
on purpose becuase she knows my mom likes to do it).  So, yeah for being
self-sufficient.  My mom is now 71.  When she was in high school she applied
and won a nursing school scholarship- moved herself to Washington DC from
Florida just as she turned 17, and has been making her own path ever since.
Thank god my mom is a brave and persistant woman, who knows what I'd be like
otherwise- she came from a family who was poorly educated, lived in a small
southern town that embraced segragation and prejudice of all kinds, and her
mother spent most of her time waiting for my grandfather to come home from
work, going to the hairdresser and reading trashy novels.  I have no idea
how my mom managed to escape all of the above- my only guess is that the
little time she spent with her great grandmother (who was a tiny woman, yet
totally independent and running a farm) really must have had a huge impact.

Ok- I'm done now.

Theresa