From: Theresa [mailto: tchessie@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:19:34 -0800
Subject: RE: [CHAT] OT:now independence/Girl Scouts

Funny you should mention that- I was a girl scout (and still am a
life<br>member) thoughout school even through high school. I went to
National<br>Center West, the annual conventions at the state and
national level, camped<br>a ton, met lots of wonderful people, and still
have both a vest and sash<br>covered with badges. My mom was a leader
part of the time, and regardless<br>of that I still would have gotten my
sense of self-reliance from her. She<br>did anything that needed to be
done inside or outside the house, fixed<br>things, worked hard, even
taught us how to fish and enjoyed all of it. I am<br>eternally grateful
to her for living like she did and showing us what we<br>could do. Oh
course as a kid I had no idea this is what she was doing, we<br>we just
living and growing up. She still is happiest outside in the yard,<br>and
cares for her own small yard, and then goes over to my younger
sister's<br>house and cleans up her garden beds too (my sister doesn't
do much in them<br>on purpose becuase she knows my mom likes to do it).
So, yeah for being<br>self-sufficient. My mom is now 71. When she was in
high school she applied<br>and won a nursing school scholarship- moved
herself to Washington DC from<br>Florida just as she turned 17, and has
been making her own path ever since.<br>Thank god my mom is a brave and
persistant woman, who knows what I'd be like<br>otherwise- she came from
a family who was poorly educated, lived in a small<br>southern town that
embraced segragation and prejudice of all kinds, and her<br>mother spent
most of her time waiting for my grandfather to come home from<br>work,
going to the hairdresser and reading trashy novels. I have no
idea<br>how my mom managed to escape all of the above- my only guess is
that the<br>little time she spent with her great grandmother (who was a
tiny woman, yet<br>totally independent and running a farm) really must
have had a huge impact.<br><br>Ok- I'm done

t [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On<br>Behalf Of Melody<br>Sent:
Tuesday, November 25, 2003 2:50 AM<br>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] throw away society now
involved with Girl Scouts as<br>both a leader and a parent...it's
important to me that my girls and<br>their friends who choose to be
involved in Girl Scouts learn early that<br>the road to self esteem lies
in their ability to do for themselves...as<br>a troop leader I find
enjoyment in watching the girls learning to be<br>self sufficient and
capable in many arenas that will serve them well
beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."<br>--Albert
Einstein<br><br> --- On Fri 11/21, Theresa < tchessie@comcast.net >
wrote:<br>From: Theresa [mailto: tchessie@comcast.net]<br>To:
gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:15:03 -0800<br>Subject:
RE: [CHAT] throw away society<br><br>I'll second that! I am delighted
that I can replace a kitchen faucet,<br>haul<br>shrubs out of the
ground, and still occassionally catch guys<br>watching me<br>walk across
the grocery store parking lot when I'm in a<br>pair of heels.<br>Thank
god my husband is also an independent thinking<br>person- and not in
the<br>least threatened by my tendency to do what<br>ever comes to mind.
(Although he<br>did fuss at me when I nearly got<br>crushed underneath
the yard waste barrel<br>becuase I had put about 400<br>lbs of stuff in
it and then tried to move it all<br>by myself :) It<br>cracks me up when
my male neighbor across the street wants<br>to know<br>where my husband
is when I'm out working in the yard and garden-<br>It<br>is my project,
not my husbands! It worries my thought when his 11<br>year
old<br>daughter doesn't understand this- maybe eventually a little<br>of
my influence<br>will rub off

me, not<br>too many years ago,<br>that she wondered if she raised us to
be too<br>independent! I told her -<br>absolutely not. Can't be too
independent.<br>That would like being too into<br>gardening -
Message<br>----------------------------------<br>From: "Donna
"<br><justme@prairieinet.net><br>Reply-To: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Date:
important<br>thing you can do for your child...<br>> No matter what life
throws at<br>them, they will be able to handle it...<br>>whether we
very<br>>> independent<br>person, and raised my sons to be individuals.
but they are all very much<br>independent<br>>>
this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with<br>the<br>>message text
this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the<br>message<br>text
this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the<br>message<br>text
Excite! -