Re: Armitage CD and other electronic wonders

For a some silly juvenile reasons I never became a fast reader.  And sitting
still, unless trapped in a car, for a long period of time to read a book
just doesn't happen for me.  I get a couple of pages in and, unless it is
truly exceptional, I think of something that needs done and I'm putting the
book down.  Consequently, library borrowing wasn't a good choice for me.

When it comes to gardening books - how to - reference - monographs -
hardscape - whatever - I prefer to own my books.  Especially references.  At
9:20 pm I might want to look up hydrangea cultivation and I'm not about to
wait to go to the library.  As the internet expanded it became much easier
to google your question, but just because it's on the internet doesn't make
it reliable.  And the internet doesn't provide all answers.  I've been
trying to find the min temp of dragonwing begonias without much luck.

I also share, often as a MG project or just with friends.  Having
information on CD makes the info easier to use - copy/paste/edit.  I
recently compliled a 90 page handbook for our MG nursery of pics and
cultivation details on all the plants we grow for sale.  I compiled an 80
page botanical/common name cross reference we sold.  I make tags and POP for
plants and bulbs we sell.  I put together a self-guided tour of our Display
gardens.  All these projects require references and resources and both
Armitage and Dirr have been helpful for those.

I think that if you work in the hort field and are near a computer quite a
bit - like Jim, or if you work on a lot of computer-aided projects like I
do, these CDs and DVDs can be handier than books at times.  But if you are a
gardener with a question and the computer hasn't been turned on yet today,
it's probably easier to go to the shelf and grab a book.  For myself, I
require both.

Kitty
'