Christmas Cactus

Donna,
What a shame about your Cmas Cactus.  I'm pretty sure that Easter/Cmas/Tgvg
Cactus are much longer-lived than that.  Schlumbergera x bridgesii is an
epiphyte and in its native jungle habitat grows in leaf debris in the clefts
of tree branches.

Cmas Cactus, Schlumbergera x bridgesii, is a host of the tomato spotted wilt
virus which is transmitted by thrips.

Also susceptible to Pythium Root Rot: Symptoms:Plants wilt and die.
Management: Plant in pasteurized potting mix. Discard infected plants. Apply
metalaxyl, etridiazole or etridiazole + thiophanate methyl to protect
healthy plants. More info:
http://www.cas.psu.edu/docs/CASDEPT/PLANT/ext/xmascact.html

Major Christmas Cactus disease problems include Fusarium, Erwinia,
Helminthosporium, Pythium and Phytophthora with the first three pathogens
being foliar while the latter two cause a basal and root rot.  Again
appropriate measures should be taken to prevent and control these problems.
(Daconil F or Domain F for foliage, Subdue or Truban for drench.)

Another virus I found it is susceptible to is Cactus X potexvirus (barrel
cactus virus), transmitted by mechanical inoculation; transmitted by
grafting; transmitted by contact between plants; not transmitted by seed.
Host species (hosts exhibit no symptoms) include:
Amaranthus, Austrocylindropuntia cylindrica, Beta vulgaris, Cactaceae,
Celosia argentea, Cereus, Chenopodium, Echinocereus procumbens, Echinopsis,
Epiphyllum, Ferocactus acanthodes, Gomphrena globosa, Ocimum basilicum,
Opuntia vulgaris, Pereskia saccharosa, Schlumbergera bridgesii, Zygocactus.
However, I wasn't able to determine from info I found on this virus what the
results are in the infected plant.

Kitty