Re: another mystery plant

Thanks for your assistance. The more I observe the plant, the more I think, despite what my friend called it, it is not an ivy. Definitely is a trailer. The leaves are not variegated, and their shape is probably more ovate or elliptical than heart shaped. Guess I'll have to try a picture. We have a digital camera, so may be I can get DH to show me how to download and send a picture or two. Should I send to you directly rather than the list? I don't want to mess up every one's email with an unwanted picture.
On Wednesday, November 26, 2003, at 10:11 PM, Marge Talt wrote:

From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
A friend gave me a start of a vining plant she called "Peruvian
It is delicate, small (1/4 in or less) alternate leaves that are
vaguely heart shaped. Not hardy. No visible flowers and she did not

report any.

Well, Cathy, I, too, googled this with no luck.  Now, there is an ivy
with very tiny, heart shaped leaves - I have a photo of it in one of
my ivy articles:

Scroll down to the sub head "Still In Pots After All These Years".
Of course, I put it in the ground and it didn't make it, so it could
very well be not hardy.

If this is not what you've got, then we need to see a picture of this
child as it could easily be something that's not related to Hedera
helix at all.

There's another that has very tiny leaves; very delicate, called
Ceropegia woodii, the string of hearts plant.  Here's an image +
info:  http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week098.shtml

Thing is, this one's leaves are very definitely marbled with
white/silver.  Look mostly silver, really.  A net friend gave me one
that may or may not be hanging in there still. Very cute plant and I
wish I had figured out what it wanted better and earlier; think it
got too much water.  It does bloom, however, tho' mine never did.

Beyond that, Vancouveria spp. have small, almost heart shaped leaves
but aren't vines, tho' they can almost look that way sometimes; some
are fairly hardy and others aren't.

Well, that's all I can come up with at this point; think we need to
see your child to really help:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers