Re: Re: dragonwing

Well, Kitty, I'm sure glad you found it because I had no luck when I
tried searching.  Interesting plants.  I would guess that they can
tolerate temperatures colder than 18C, but won't be in active growth
and I also suspect that they can survive temps in the low 40s without
major damage - my angel wings and rhizomatous begonias do this
regularly but not for extremely extended periods.  I have a couple
that have seeded into pots that are going to be in the greenhouse all
winter; we shall see how they do there as temps get close to freezing
on occasion.  Also had some seed into the garden; am sure they aren't
gonna make it.

Seems to me, tho', that begonias generally prefer it cooler than
hotter???

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net>
>
> Well, Jim, while searching for info to explain to you what a DW
begonia is I
> finally found one site that gave a min temp, though it doesn't seem
correct.
> As Daryl mentioned earlier, she's had them survive down to 27 F.
>
> Dragonwing begonias are hybrids that have the erect habit of the
anglewing
> parent but the free flowering habit and bright red flowers of the
wax
> begonia parent. It usually grows to 18 inches tall from several
erect,
> cane-like stems. The leaves are similar in shape to the anglewing
parent but
> smaller and more glossy and succulent like the wax begonia parent.
The plant
> 's creator is PanAmerican Seed Co.
>
> I found one site:
> http://www.highqgreenhouses.com/infosheets/AtoC/dragonwing.htm
> that says:
> Grow Temp. / Pinching Heat tolerant, Minimum 180C
> but a converter tells me that is 64 degrees F, and surely they're
more
> durable than that.  Is a minimum growing temperature in the trade
the same
> as the minimum that plant needs to survive?
>
> Kitty

It helps.