Re: Canna tubers was: tolerance of lack of same/ alone

I had no trouble doing just that with the canna in my outside whiskey barrel planters (aside from needing a spading fork to pry them out - they were in potting soil). DH's were planted in pure clay and were growing in water as pond marginals. If I had just let them dry, they would have been encased in pottery! : >)
Cathy
On Saturday, November 29, 2003, at 02:18 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

Well, Cathy, that reminds me of the year I spent hours washing Canna
tubers in about that same temperature...I agree; NEVER again.  Now, I
just dig them and leave whatever soil I can't just shake off on
them...seem to have less loss of tuber over winter that way.
Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>

Wish I could have put the canna tubers in the washing machine. DH
wanted me to separate and dry his variegated canna tubers (growing
in a
plastic basket in the pond) in an attempt to overwinter them
dormant.
Picture me, in the driveway, temperature in the low 40's, first
cutting
away the basket, then pulling away wet clay and pebbles from the
roots
with my hands, followed by a vigorous hosing away of the rest. Then
had
to separate the individual tubers with brute strength and set them
aside to dry. Finally had to clean up the mess in the driveway.
Whole
process took me 2 hours. Never again. Don't care if he did spend
$30.00
for the original tuber!
Cathy