From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Daryl
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2003 4:16 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] problem tree roots

Theresa,

We were taught that if you remove any large roots within 4' of the tree
trunk, that it then becomes a hazard, and should be removed.
Assuming that the roots you're cutting are well out from that spot, you can
get root control fabric that contains a chemical that prevents roots from
growing into it.

Using gravel actually encourages roots to grow into it. Despite the lack of
nutrients, the tree roots move in because it's well-aerated and moist. When
they planted trees in Atlanta for the Olympics, they used an expanded slate
product called Perma-till (looks like gravel) in the areas that they were
going to pave, so that the tree roots would be able to grow underneath the
paved areas.

Daryl