Re: problem tree roots

The blocks are sawed, Theresa. You can probably rent a saw--hand-held or table--to do it.

On Saturday, November 29, 2003, at 10:26 PM, Theresa wrote:

hi donna-
i've periodically trimmed branches from the tree and this summerlimbed it up
a bit (so that people walking on the sidewalk wouldn't be decapitated) and
also chopped several branches off so that the street sign wasn't completed
covered. So, hopefully that will be enough of branch removal.

We got the roots removed and the windsor wall block laid for the first 2
rows at least. The rest will be easier (hopefully), just need to finish
stacking them and work on the corners and curves for the path. Does anyone
know the secret to splitting the concrete blocks??

Theresa

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Donna
Sent: Friday, November 28, 2003 5:13 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] problem tree roots

Tree roots will always go to where you add good soil too... kinda like
monsters underground popping up....

They do say you should also cut a branch the same diameter size out of
the tree when you remove large roots... which it sounds like you are
doing.

Donna

This tree is some kind of ash, and there are 3 good sized roots that
must
be
cut to put in the wall.  We did the biggest one today- what pain in
the
you
know what. One was small and easy to cut, and the last is half-done-
at
which point we were too tired to just tools safely and called it
quits.
The
tree is root happy and I'm sure will fill the beds with new roots
also, I
plan on planting  perenials to fill the bed asap (hopefully before the
roots
take over!)

Theresa

Island Jim