Re: perennials and holiday decorating.....

Donna, the perennials that are totally dormant - no above ground
rosette - will not mind having something on them for a few weeks.
However, if they have any evergreen parts that remain above ground, I
would put my foot down about having some solid object sitting on
them.  I would not worry about water - the ground is going to be
moist enough around their roots even with something sitting on top of
them - but I would worry about overwintering crowns with even very
tight little ruffs of leaves...they do not want to be sat on:-)  Only
other concern would be the weight of the items and whether they would
compact the soil...and, of course, his tromping around over your
plants rigging them ain't gonna do the soil structure in your beds
any good...

Your DH sounds like my father - he used to cover every surface with
something and rig a phonograph to play music outside - drove me
nuts:-)  Don't think he's still doing this now as he's 91, but he did
it every year while I was growing up.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Donna  <justme@prairieinet.net>
>
> We are decorating the front yard for the holidays. We have a new
raised
> bed out there and DH is adding his stuff on top of my perennials!
Not to
> mention decorating my small and still fragile trees....
>
> I was not concerned with the open weave lighted reindeers and such,
> thought was the water, light etc could still get to the dormant
> plants...
>
> But then he brought out the hard plastic stuff.... now my
perennials are