Re: Today in the Yard

At Caspersen beach, Ceres, our nearest public beach, lots of small shells wash up in apparent piles. These are shells that are 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch in diameter and "fresh"--that is, unbroken and new. We scoop them up to sweep them between our pavers for a kind of grout. Caspersen is an interesting place for any beachcomber. Lots of nice shells, coral pieces, whelk egg cases, sharks teeth, fossil bones, and fossilized oyster shells wash up with regularity. And like any beach, it gets its share of trash, so we also always carry a garbage bag when we comb.