From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: 11/1/2004 5:14:02 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Today in the Yard

Finally worked through this massive indexing jog to the point that I could
an hour off to start my bulb planting.  It is getting pretty chilly, but the
sun was
bright, so I enjoyed the hour outside.  I have found the dull, overcast days
have had so many of this fall qute depressing.  The colors have been as bright
as I can ever remember, but the weather has not been at all attractive.  Now
leaves are almost all down, and the sun finally comes out.

And then there is the end of daylight saving time.  How I hate that!  It is
dark at 5:00 PM, and soon will be dark a little after 4:00.  That's the worst
thing in my mind about living in the North.  I can cope with the cold and
but not the long nights and short days.  Many years ago when we were younger,
we were recruited to be involved in a shop in Freeport, Maine - right across
road from L.L.Bean, which some of you were discussing recently.  In the 60's
there were a lot of creative-style shops.  The Freeport Maine Country Store
was going to be one of them.  We were intrigued, and went up to look over
the situation.  The place was attractive, but the lovely old colonial house
we stayed had no central heating.  The water in the toilet froze over night.
it was dark in the middle of the afternoon.  It only took one weekend for me
decide against that project!

I am trying an experiment, which may not work.  In the bed where we pulled
out the big Mugho Pine and replaced it with a 3-foot one, I have been busily
putting in things I hope the deer won't like.  Today I planted several dozen
daffodils - different sizes and blooming-periods.  I know the deer won't
those, so among them I planted handfuls of species tulips - the tiny T. tarda
and some of the little Kaufmanianas, and a batch of Iris danfordiae.  I put
them pretty well back under the pine and surrounded by the daffs.  I'm hoping
Bambi will avoid the prickly pine and poisonous daffs, and leave the other
things too.  We'll see next spring if it works.
Auralie - Zone 5