Re: Today/now polls

A Canadian friend asked me about the election outcome and I sent him my
views. After reading some of the messages here it appears the list has
allowed a small window for politcal comment to be voiced, so I'll share
what I wrote to Denis:

I've read various commentary about the results and have more or less
decided that this country will generally continue in this same direction
for many years to come. The election hung on Ohio's choice. Ohio has
been hit hard economically and it would seem Kerry had a good chance
there. However, that state also had a referendum on their ballot to
outlaw gay marriage which was overwhelmingly passed. The correlation is
that people are more afraid of letting gays marry than they are afraid
for their economy. This shows that most people here seem to vote from a
religious perspective (in a country with separation of church and

Additionally, it has been stated that the Democrats must have a
southerner or at least a border state candidate to win. Looking at the
red/blue map, that's a logical conclusion. People apparently are more
likely to vote for one of their own and even though the civil war was
fought so very long ago, folks still think in terms of North and South.
Personally, I don't care where someone is from; I wouldn't vote for a
Hoosier just because he lived here.

I developed a sense through civics classes, and political science
courses, seasoned by living through on-campus life of the early 70s, of
trying to see the big picture for our country in making a voting
decision. But the trend now is for people to vote on single issues and
focus only on what pertains to themselves. What will make them richer or
what will advance their religious stance. I think it's sad.

The next four years will be more of the same with likely a first move to
be the privatisation of Social Security. No longer benefiting from even
the mildest protections, it will be substantially reduced by the time I
get there. Many people who paid in over the years will not be able to
get by. The war will drag on, more lives will be lost and we'll probably
become enaged in more locations. A draft of some sort may be inevitable.
Our national parks will be overrun by snowmobiles, air polution, timber
cutting, and mining. And I have a feeling Roe v Wade is in jeopardy,

The only part of this that substantially affects me would be SS. I think
that there could be a good chance I'd lose my home if I lived long
enough, but I don't expect to live much past retirement age so I'm not
that worried. But I do worry for others. I have no insurance and
therefore no medical attention which will shorten my already doubtful
life expectancy. But others who have insurance and/or good genes will
need more money to get by. Those whose pension plans disappeared or
experienced other catastrophes will look to SS and find next to nothing.
Those who had to survive on minimum wage or just a bit more will not
have been able to save. Those who tried and failed at the stockmarket
will be broke.

It's a country of the haves and have-nots now. The haves are concerned
only for themselves and fear slipping over the line. They turn a deaf
ear to the have-nots, saying they just need to try harder. Sure. If you
HAVE money you can borrow at 0%, but if you don't they charge you 20+%
and you dig yourself in deeper. It's also a country of holier-than-thous
trying to dictate the morality of others. If you're born homosexual, too
bad. You don't deserve the pursuit of happiness that the moral majority
reserves for itself. And pity the poor girl who suffers a broken condom
after they overturn Roe. With no choice she'll be at the mercy of both
the Haves and the Holiers and she and her little family will reside
forever as a Have-not.

Again, I'm not really worried for myself, I'll get by. But MY religion
taught me to care about others, express tolerance, and practice
humility. I am in the minority and will be for my lifetime. I have no
kids' futures to worry about. But I still wish this country were headed
on a more positive track.

Enough said. Time for me to investigate Irish citizenship.