Re: National Weather

No, Zem.  Thank goodness we aren't expecting snow tonight, though we did have
a light frost last night.  I am down in the Southeast corner of the state -
not as mild as Long Island - they'e a  whole zone warmer - but better than
upstate.  It is not nice here at all, however.  40 degrees and raining.  We had to
go out to buy groceries earlier this afternoon (I will not shop more than
once a week - just do a big one then and if I forget something, do without it
until next week.) and it was really nasty.  I, too, don't look forward to the
cold weather.
  I have been so busy the past three weeks that I haven't been able to plant
more than a few of my bulbs, or start the fall cleanup.  It hasn't been really
nice
all fall - temperatures have hung in the 50s and there has been little sun -
really dreary - but now it looks as if I will have to be doing the fall work
in
even worse weather.
  Had a good dish of greens from the garden today - may be the last, but
maybe not.  A combination of red Indian mustard, beet greens and Bok Choi
cooked up with a bit of pork and onions - really tasty.  The rest of the
garden
is a mess now - much to be done.
  How many of your cats live outdoors?  Some years ago there was a cat -
don't like to call him a stray, but he seemed homeless.  He hung around
and looked hungry, so we fed him outside all one winter.  On one terribly
cold night we caught him and brought him in, but he didn't look at all happy
and wanted to go back out.  Then at some point after about a year he decided
to move in. We had several other cats at the time, and they seemed to accept
him.  He lived with us for several years and was an affectionate
member of the family.  He was quite old, and had become  somewhat deaf -
probably because his ears had been chewed to stubs before he came to
us.  He just disappeared one day, but I always thought he had been caught
in a trap, for I knew there were kids trapping muskrats in the swamp behind
our place.  We were sad to lose him.  Of our current four, only one goes out
often - as often as the door is open she goes through from whichever side
she is on.  Our senior male - about 10 now - dislikes weather - any kind.  He
usually goes out for a few minutes each day, but not always.  The two
youngest sisters don't go out at all.
lived with us for about five years

In a message dated 11/04/2004 3:33:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,