Re: National Weather

Not Donna, but the answer depends on the pond, or more specifically, the pump. If you have no living things to preserve, I would just drain it, but if you have a pump to produce a fountain, waterfall, etc, you will have to store it, in water, in a frost-free area until spring. In our big pond, where we over winter our koi, the pump is kept going through the winter, but the pond is large and deep enough to allow enough air exchange, as long as the pump is working. In the ponds that have just plants, we move the tropicals to our basement under grow lights and leave the hardies to fend for themselves. Those have done just fine, as natural precipitation has given them enough moisture until spring.
Cathy

On Sunday, November 7, 2004, at 05:04 PM, Bonnie & Bill Morgan wrote:

Donna, would your recommend I drain my new little pond for the winter? We
have no fish or plants in it now, but look forward to working on that in the
spring. Or is it better to leave some water in it?

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Cathy Carpenter
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 9:36 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] National Weather

Dry here for the weekend and temps may get into the 60s, which means DH
is going to drain and clean the ponds. It will entail catching and
transferring all fish to a very large tub - and then trying to prevent
them from jumping out (and chasing them if they do) until the cleaning
is done and the pond refilled. I am NOT looking forward to it!
Cathy