Re: It's finally cooled off

Not in Florida, Donna, but we had our first snow in the Hudson Valley last
night.
About half an inch this morning.  Yesterday was nasty, rain and in the 30s,
so
it was not unexpected.  This morning is beautiful - perfectly clear and
bright.  The
fresh snow is always pretty, and there is nothing lovelier than snow-frosted
dogwood branches against a blue sky.  It's thawing quickly and will be gone
before noon.  We needed the rain, so I'm not complaining about that.  Also, I
am thankful that I was able to get out and get my bulbs planted and peonies
cut down on Thursday.  There is much more that needed to be done, but this
season has been so hectic that far too much has been left undone.  We may
still have a few nice  days - the ground isn't frozen yet.

I have several miniature roses in containers in my breezeway that have done
beautifully this year - in fact I picked half a dozen buds yesterday morning.
 In
past years I have heeled them in in the vegetable garden for the winter and
replanted them in containers in the spring.  Two years ago they didn't survive
the winter.  Last year I only had one, and just left it in its pot  inside
the screened
porch.  This year that one has done extremely well, despite being nibbled by
deer right
on my doorstep.  I'm wondering if I should just leave this year's plants in
their
containers - especially since I haven't done anything about them yet.  I'll
have
to move them into the porch because they are in pottery containers that would
crack if left outside.  I don't know about watering them during the winter -
they
will freeze out there but could dry out, too.  Any thoughts?
Auralie - NY Zone 5

n a message dated 11/13/2004 10:27:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:
It is snowing in Florida?!?

Donna