results are in

This summer Jim mentioned his permanent bed for cuttings and I think
Cathy said she keeps a box on her kitchen counter. In September I did my
annual cutting spree of tenders and stuck them 2 different ways. Most
were done in a 1:1 mix of peat and perlite in 8 inch bulb pans tented
with saran. Others I did in a 1:1 mix of perlite and vermiculite in a a
clear storage box with a clear lid. Both systems worked well, but the
box was far easier to deal with and the roots were more dense. The
Alternanthera went crazy in the box, doubling in height and growing air
roots. A few of the Coleus experience some rot of the leaves. I took the
lid off along the way to let some of the moisture evaporate. (it was
just damp - no water unabsorbed by the medium) Last year when I used the
tented peat mix, they went gangbusters growing roots. I had a tough time
getting them apart. This year, though, they grew far fewer roots, but
sufficient to pot up.

I like this box method and will continue this way. May try softwood
cuttings in it next summer. Now I'd like to ask what fertilizer method
do any of you use on your freshly potted up cuttings. I was thinking a
half-strength balanced liquid. suggestions?