Re: So, here it is...

Thanks, Rich. Actually, I came to grips with my own mortality at about age 40--when, as Woody Allen said, "I suddenly thought 'What have I gotten myself into this time?'."

And, yeah, you're right. Ornery helps. Ornery is the only antidote [other than wedgies] to goose-stepping, I suspect.

On Sunday, November 14, 2004, at 07:57 PM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

Hi Jim,

I can kinda relate. My dad died when he was 48; at the time I was 23 and on
my way to Vietnam. I was certain that no matter what happened there was no
way in hell I'd ever make it past 48.

Well, to make a long story not quite as long, I recently celebarted number
63, and right now have no intention of checking out in the near future. I
will admit that the couple of years after 48 I felt often as though I had
one foot in the grave and the other on a bannana peel.

Give it a little time, and I think you'll get over it. Besides you're too
damned onery to check out soon.
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: "Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 13, 2004 1:28 PM
Subject: [CHAT] So, here it is...

Doomsday.

Betcha weren't expecting that!

The occasion is, today I officially reached age 72 years. For some
reason at age 10 or 12, I became convinced that I would live to age 72.
Now, when I was 10 or 12, life expectancy was something like age 68. So
72 seemed like a derring-do. Progress; Roosevelt was president and all
things were possible. But, for reasons I can't explain, age 72 has now
become some sort of end game in my mind. I have the distinct feeling
that it's all borrowed time from here on out.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Zone 10a