Re: Mg Meetings

The previous Extension Agent allowed the MG association to run the
program. He/they began the project of building display gardens around
the extension office. They raised money via plant sales, garage sales,
etc. to start the gardens, but most of the plant material was donated by
the MGs themselves. Eventually they amassed over $7000. During their
meetings they decided that each of the 9 or so gardens could have a
whopping $25 per year to maintain these gardens, but when it came time
for someone to get reimbursed it was like pulling teeth. Enter the new
Hort Ed. He told them to give him money for mulch, soil, etc. as he
improved the grounds spaces between each garden and to improve the
maintenance of current gardens and to add more. They refused. From that
point on he trained lots of new MGs and cut the Association out of the
loop. Starting from a scratch budget we had more sales and built a new
fund controlled by the Hort Ed at the extension office. He's talked with
the association over the years, but they won't give what is left of the
money (about $2000) back. He's tried to keep the lines open with them,
even though when he first started explaining to them how it was going to
be from then on, they started a smear campaign to get the
university/county to fire him.

All in all, we don't need the association with their back stabbing,
money grubbing, controlling attitudes. You can bring any reasonable
project to the H.E.'s attention and he'll give you the go-ahead. He'll
support you. Things run very smoothly and I've never heard anyone
outside that association say they are unhappy with him. Most people
marvel at all that he and we have accomplished.

Kitty