Re: OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

In a message dated 11/16/04 7:40:54 AM, pdickson@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< didn't want it to be a tea sipping garden club that didn't dig. >>

Tricia, I must start by telling you all garden clubs are not tea sipping
clubs and, in fact, I don't know of any in our area.  There are clubs that operate
a bit more formally than others and may use their silver for refreshments but
still have the projects that enlists the true gardeners skills.  We also have
a garden club in our area that has limited membership and each candidate must
be voted on to become a member.  They use the black ball method.
    The major difference btwn a garden club & MGs is their objectives.  MG is
an org designed for volunteers to assist extension in their service to our
communities and in exchange provide the nec training.  Many hold the idea that
MGs was designed to train the volunteer to be a better gardener and to provide
skills to better develop his/hers own garden.  Unfortunately, many enter the
program with that idea or agenda. We have also had a number who are employed in
the gardening world and enter the program to promote their employment
opportunities.  On the other side, I have friends that would truly like to be a MG
but just do not have the time to volunteer as would be expected.
    Garden clubs are to designed to educate their members and to be involved
in a community project.  There are no pay back or mbship rqmts other than a
membership fee.  Both are great experiences.  I do both.
    Ceres