Re: OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

I agree with that... .snooty people just ruin lots of stuff all the way from school to church to garden groups. I think we should just avoid snooty people!
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

Ceres, thanks for speaking up for garden clubs. I'm afraid they suffer from
an image problem, but they are not generally tea-drinking societies. Of
course, they
vary from place to place, and from club to club. I know the 30-odd clubs in
District pretty well, and very few of them would fit in that category. I
don't know of any that don't have some sort of community service - from street
plantings to special gardens, educational programs, or programs for childern. On
the other
hand, the Master Gardeners in the area are pretty snooty, and I don't really
know of any project they support. They look down their noses at garden club
members - say they aren't really serious. One very fine gardener was turned
down because they said her involvement with garden clubs would demand too
much of her time. They have refused to give us speakers for the New York State
Federation's Horticulture School. I know Master Gardeners other places are
like this - I have talked to many across the state and they all agree that
this is not
common. My point is that all garden clubs should not be stereotyped, nor
all Master Gardeners. There are fine people and programs in both, and this
group's discussion has pointed out many differences in MG programs from place
to place.

In a message dated 11/16/2004 2:10:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,