RE: RE: Simplifying the holidays..

WOW...well, our family (at Christmas) is rather small. We ALL (40 plus)
get together at Thanksgiving (our place) but Christmas is just our
immediate family (Me, DH, 6 kids, spouses of kids, and grandchild). I
like the theme idea...may have to try that one myself! One of our family
traditions is that we take everybody to dinner at our favorite Japanese
restaurant when there is a birthday. We have two birthdays in October
that we combine...we can draw names then! But this year...it will be at

Donna <gossiper@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
I wish you luck on that one Jesse....

Dh family is huge (like 40 some folks siblings and their kids/husbands
only) and they decided to do a pick name type thing... another year they
did a grab bag with a thyme. All would have worked great- except you get
the ones who don't keep within the rules and then get upset. Three of
his sisters still went out and bought something for everyone... and of
course the rest of us stuck with the plan. Caused a lot of problems
which where caused by them....

BTW, the grab bag with a thyme was great... everyone pulled a set idea
at FIL birthday party in Oct... mine was 'tailgate party' so the gift
had to be creative within that. Also had a 25.00 limit, so no one went
overboard. The matching envelope/tag were hanging on the tree, you
picked one and then found the match package. It was fun to see how
everyone came up with ideas based on the concept... and none were gender
related and fit into the 15 to 70+yr range. Kids had their own name

BTW Xmas is here this year, so stress will definitely be in the holiday
plan. So I picked a no present year. Instead everyone has to help with
the sit down dinner and bring a traditional food from their spouses
heritage.... We will do the basic meats and stuff, they need to bring
the rest...we will see what happens. (DH comment-- are you nuts...
answer probably...my thought was it would help to combine the families
via food traditions)