From: Cathy Carpenter
Sent: 11/19/2004 7:08:49 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Armadillos/leprosy

Actually, it was probably a label applied to a number of skin diseases
and other dermatologic conditions: anything that would produce sores
and/ or skin disfigurement that persisted.
Aside from the initial (primary) lesion, and the diffuse rash of
secondary syphilis, that disease doesn't really manifest
dermatologically, though it was much more serious (i.e. deadly) in its
first two stages some 500+ years ago (smallpox was called "small"
because syphilis was considered the "great" pox). Speculation is that
the causitive organism (Treponema pallidum) mutated back then to
something with less severe initial symptoms, retaining its real whammy
for the neurological effects of its third stage.
Probably more than you want to know....but I love trivia.
Cathy

http://www.hort.net/funds/