Re: catnip

Pam, there are hawks around here, too - even an occasional eagle.  I can
always tell when there is a hawk in the neighborhood, because suddenly
there are no birds at the feeders.  If I look closely I can see them in the
branches of trees or on a shelf under the eave of the garage sitting very
still.  If I go outside at those times I can almost always see a hawk
circling.  That's why we put our feeders in a pretty protected place -
hanging from the eaves of the garage in the narrow breezeway between
it and the house.
  A couple of years ago there was a strange bird in the yard - a black
pigeon with a white beak.  I thought it might be an escaped pet, and
went online to try to find if anyone was missing one.  It was just sitting
by the feeders looking as if it didn't know what to do.  I watched it for
a while, then went to do some necessary chores.  A little later I looked
out the window and there was a large hawk sitting on the ground beside
the pond feasting on the poor pigeon.  I never did find out if it had
been an escapee, but I still think it must have been.  Pigeons don't
come around here, and though those I see in the city are pretty varied,
they don't look like this fellow.  The Sibley bird book shows as a variant
a "dark adult" that looks like this one except that it describes it as
all darkish gray, and this one was quite sooty black.
One of life's little mysteries.

In a message dated 11/20/2004 9:49:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,