Re: Christmas giving programs

Oh Kitty, I don't mean that I don't buy and buy "pretty" - I'm actually
pretty generous compared to many here. But when the $25.00 Target gift
card to a family I don't know is not "enough" or the teddy bear gets
dumped in the trash can by a cynical 5 year old, welllllll..... So I
take care of the barn manager at the barn where I kept my horse and
still ride. I KNOW that any extra $25.00 gift card from Target is
appreciated by her.

I'm just more careful where I make my donations anymore and donate my
time. I want to help but don't want to be taken advantage of or told
that what I give is not enough or not trendy enough, etc. Why does a
homeless person need a brand new coat and not the one I've outgrown but
still in good condition? If I was still thin enough, I would still be
wearing it which is fine for me but not some homeless person? See what I
mean? I'm really a pessimistic Pollyanna, wanting to help and hope
everyone gets along yet know that it's useless sometimes. But, I still
try and help when I want. Fran

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
I agree the basics are important, but the "wants" for material things
shouldn't be overlooked at Christmas. It doesn't have to be bling, but with
the serviceable tube socks, couldn't you include one pair with pink lace
around the edge? It's Cmas and everyone needs a little sparkle.
It is sad that the assumption is that anything a poor child wants but
doesn't get will be stolen. I know some of that will happen, but I don't
think it is true across the board.

Kitty