Re: Christmas giving programs

I would be, too. Groceries are hard to fence.

On Wednesday, November 24, 2004, at 04:03 PM, Kitty wrote:

Fran, I didn't mean to come down too hard, just adding a little optimism.
We all have to choose a method of giving that works for us. As for myself,
I'm broke. I scraped a few $ together to give to the DAV, but that's it
this year. I had to drop my animal charity last January when I lost my job.
I'm selling off some collectibles so I'll be able to by some small gifts for
family.

I can be cynical about it or I can say it's Christmas, a time to share. I
have a friend coming to my house for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow who has
lost virtually everything, even her home. So I know there are those who
have it much worse than I.

If a 5 yr old dumps a teddy bear in a trash can, that attitude is the fault
of his/her parents. S/he learned that somewhere.

As for being careful about giving, I once dated a guy whose twin brother was
always short of money. Jerry had a wife and 4 kids, and Terry & I didn't
want to see them hungry, but Terry had helped before only to find his
brother had spent it on booze or rec drugs. I told him it was a no-brainer.
We worked in a grocery store. We bought them groceries. Jerry was
"grateful", but not particularly happy.

Kitty