Re: Ceres- Rich....OT

Hello Rich & Ceres,
Peony and Iris were probably the first two plants when I began gardening... and probably a rose. Still love peony and now species iris. No loner have rose on the property.
I just dug seedling peony from my garden while cleaning up some this past week. Various sizes, but all are plump and have several healthy eyes. All that is needed... energy for next year and blooms is mostly stored from the previous seasons. I intend to pot my seedlings up and place mulch around the pots. They will bloom just fine if they are old enough come this spring.
I think a lot of the advice on peony moving got started from the wholesale trade and then on to nurseries. Best time to dig is after they are dormant, foliage is out of the way.....Now that nurseries are beginning to carry peony for sale in spring in containers they are being purchased in foliage and bloom and transplanted.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard T. Apking" <richa@midlands.net>
Hi Ceres,

If I understood Roy Klehm correctly, you should be able to plant the things
as long as you can dig a hole in unfrozen ground. The only down side might
be that you won't get any blooms next spring/summer. I think that they are
kinda tough plants. Probably what I should have started with many years ago
when I killed just about everything I planted. Have a great Thanksgiving.