Re: Christmas giving programs

Just a thought...as a child whose family often had to rely on the
kindness (or not) of others for Christmas, I learned at a very young age
not to expect too much...Santa was a fantasy long before I'd hit my
sixth birthday...the disappointment every year was just too much.
Anything we got beyond the requisite socks and underwear was a bonus.
Especially around this time of year, I feel truly saddened by the fact
that in this country where so much wealth abounds that it is almost
shameful, there are tens of thousands more children who will learn the
same lessons of going through life expecting that very little of the
prettier things in life will ever come their way. The disillusionment of
poverty can be crippling...emotionally and spiritually deadening any
belief in joy and removing forever any possible belief in magic. To this
day, I can only celebrate Christmas with half a heart and if it weren't
for the miracles of my children's smiles on that day when they wake up
and for a few hours the world and all the pretty things is theirs for
the taking, I doubt I'd even manage that. I try very hard to ground my
children in the more spiritual aspects of this season all year
long...they truly appreciate the gift of Jesus as their personal
Savior...and on more than this one day, so I find it easier to indulge
them on Christmas. And I know that as long as I am alive, my kids will
never, ever wake up to just socks and underwear for Christmas.

Sorry...off the soapbox now. Except to say perhaps that before one turns
to making generalizations about poor kids stealing things, one ought to
look at the incidence of shoplifting and kleptomania among more affluent
members of our society...it far exceeds that done by poorer children.

Melody

--Albert Einstein