Re: Marge's Suite101 topic was: Early germination, what to do?

Bummer, Marge. But... do you own the property--articles, site title, etc--so you can move them to another site? Maybe start a shady garden blog and collect your own ad revenue? Seems to me that e-publishing is such a free-for-all that it's a bit premature for site managers to assume they can get rich by focusing their appeal in any formalistic way.

On Nov 3, 2005, at 2:13 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

From: Donna <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
Sorry to hear they dropped your topic Marge. Major
overhaul- does that mean you have another one there
now?
-----------
From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
That's terrible Marge, anyone we can call or email to protest?
----------

Thanks for the sympathy, both of you.  No, Pam, no need to call...I
was ready to go.

Well, Donna, I could have another topic if I were willing to go
through an interview process and publish once a week within new
guidelines I don't much care for, obtaining an unrealistic number of
hits a month for a pittance so tiny you couldn't see it.  I am not
willing.
Supposedly the site will get revamped with a new look, etc.  I am not
holding my breath for vast improvements in that regard:-)

They've actually dropped ALL the writers on the site; any who want to
continue have to go through their interview process - no matter how
long they've been writing for them.  We were supposed to lose access
to our editor functions as of midnight the 30th....but I could still
get on last night, so who knows what they're gonna do - did not have
time to check tonight to see if there's still access:-)  They have
developed a list of topics they want writers for.  Whole thrust on
the site now is producing advertising income.  I realize they need to
make money to keep the site afloat but regret the about face in their
policies.  The original owners had such a grand vision with no clue
how to make it work...but it was a grand vision.

I haven't been able to publish much for the last year or so, so
figured I'd get a pink slip one of these days.  While I enjoyed
writing the articles - and learned more doing them and the attendant
research than I am sure any reader ever did from reading them - the
deadline ax hanging over my head was creating more guilt/stress than
I actually need at the mo...so, while sad that the chapter is coming
to an end, I'm not exactly sorry.  After the first few years of
receiving a massive $20US a month to defray internet access costs,
everybody on that site has been writing for love...my enthusiasm for
their changing policies has diminished and time to do those articles,
most of which took a min. of 20 hours each to research, create
graphics for and write, has disappeared.  The end was inevitable.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs

Island Jim