Re: Good weekend

I still have white African Daisies and Black Magic Cherry Pelargoniums
hanging in there, but that horrible wind really did a number on them.

Glad you're up and around Cyndi. It's difficult knowing that the garden
is out there calling your name and you aren't able to do anything about
it. When you wrote that the Bulbine "exploded", I had to laugh, it did
that for me too which is why I sent it to you. The two cuttings I took
before shipping it out are both doing well. Each has 4 or 5 blooms right
now, but are now in the house. Cuttings rooted l.

I had another laugh about your husband and the zucchini. Those things just produce like crazy.

Glad, too, that Trixie is settling in so well. Our group had an
overabundance of sad pet situations this past year; it's nice to know
the new babies are filling those empty spaces so well.

-- Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSR <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
I'm glad no one from here was hurt by the tornado. Scary!
I had such a good weekend. Nothing special happened. But for the last month
I haven't been able to do much on the weekends - I had back problems, and
then when that cleared up I got a horrible cold and couldn't do a lot. But
this weekend I felt great. I finished getting everything tender into the
Sure had a lot more work to do this year; because I neglected to tend it
much over the summer things grew really wild. I already mentioned the 7'
tall abutilon (now much smaller); as I pulled stuff out into the lawn I had
to hack off about 4 feet of branches off the geraniums too. The bulbine
frutescens that Kitty gave me kind of exploded, it's still contained in its
pot but there was so much of it I broke off a bunch of sections to try and
root. I went to move the big spider plant (ummm...chlorophytum comosum) and
discovered it had gotten so massive it broke the ceramic pot it was in - 18"
wide and the same deep, about, and there was no soil left, only roots. And
darn it, the pot was a pretty one I bought in Mexico - of course you
couldn't SEE the pot anymore, oh well. I just took some babies and tossed
the whole thing; in a year I'll have another one just as big. I brought in
the succulents and took a bunch of cuttings to root in a few days. Oh, it
was good just puttering around.
We have not had frost yet. Amazingly enough I still have zucchini, usually
by the end of September they are pooped out. When I brought in a few for
grilling on the BBQ my husband just groaned. The peppers are still out
there, I picked almost 10 pounds of red and green ones which I'll have to do
something with tonight. And the tomatoes are finally producing. They were
not happy all year but NOW have decided to explode with fruit. I'm almost
done with preserving though and I am not real fond of most recipes using
green tomatoes, too bad.
Our new dog Trixie is settling in. I've never owned a dog this young (she's
7 months), what a kick she is. She likes to drink out of the garden hose so
the whole time I was in the greenhouse she was right there, sticking her
head in whatever plant I was trying to water. She isn't reliably housebroken
yet so last night was the first she spent in our bedroom, suitably confined
of course. She was pretty excited to be there with us and sleep was elusive.
Then a group of coyotes started yipping very close, so we got up to check on
our sheep a couple times which made her even more excited. But all was well
and last night everyone slept just fine.
My dry garden is still in bloom. I took some pictures but didn't get them up
on the web, I'll have to do that tonight too. Everything else in the
ornamental garden, except one hybrid tea rose, is winding down for the
winter, but the salvias and zauschneria, even some penstemon, are still
blooming. I don't remember this from last year so it might be that the rain
we got in October has fooled them.
Yep, it was a good weekend.