Re: Old southern sayings

My grandmother always gave something "a cold water rinse in the duck
tub" if it was sloppily or quickly done.

A cruder expression learned from the old black woman who reallly '
raised me was "depends on which way the snot drops."  The story
behind that was that she was watching a neighbor with a runny nose
churn.  When the neighbor asked if she wanted a glass of the fresh
buttermilk, that was her response.  My grandmother was offended that
I had heard such language.