collecting Legumes

Is there any rule of thumb on collecting seeds of legumes?  I have an
Indigofera kirilowii that has performed beautifully here for 3 seasons.
I've been waiting and watching the seed pods as I'd like to try collecting
the seed.  Do they ever split ope?  They've gotten hard and tan-colored, but
show no sign of drying or splitting.  I forced one open and the seeds are
rock-hard little BBs.

When is the right time to harvest these seeds?  Have any of you ever grown
any Indigo from seed?