Re: Aloha Even

Thanks!

Yep!  I have a smallish patch of dill and fennel on the side
of the house.  Strangely did not prevent caterpillars from
finding and helping themselves to my carrots!

Well, it's not their fault.  I'll have to try to put up signs
to redirect the parents to the dill/fennel patch.  It shouldn't
be hard to find, it's next to the butterfly weed.

We always know when they're around because the yard smells like
an herbal smorgasbord as they munch away.

The swallowtails appear to like Rue (Ruta graveolens) as well.
The plant was here when we first moved in 10 years ago, which was
when I first noticed the little caterpillar guys.  They're helping
me keep it under control, I figure :) .

No insecticides here.  I've been known to dump those green Asian
beetles into a cup of soapy water from time to time, but that's
about it.

Paw paw is supposed to be a host plant for zebra swallowtails.
I'd like to try to grow some of that someday when I have the
room.  I'm a big fan of native plants, I have to add more to the
list.  I have some monarda, but methinks it needs to be further
than 12 feet from the house.

Bees tend to make some folk nervous.

I have been known to knit and crochet, but I'm lousy at sewing,
needlepoint and embroidery :(.

-s

--

I saw a small bottle of cologne and asked if it was for sale. She said,

		 -Steven Wright