Re: FYI OT: new computer vulnerability

> Thought you'd want to be aware of of spyware installed by copy-protected
>
> Sony music CDs, which also is a conduit for viruses:
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/technology/2005-11-10-sony-hackers_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/11/10/sony.hack.reut/index.html
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/11/AR2005111100632.html
>
> http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/the_bush_admini.html
>
> Also, apparently spyware/anti-virus software has
> difficulty detecting the Sony malware and the viruses that it can hide.

Hi Theresa,

   I can't read the links that you pasted right now, but I read about this
   earlier this week and read that Sophos will be distributing a tool
   to disable the copy protection.  The article said by Thursday, but
   I didn't see it at sophos.com yet.

   Here's the article that mentions that:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051110/tc_nm/sony_hack_dc

   Good luck!

Chris (who's going back out to pot and label before it gets dark)