To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2005 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Winter is coming

Probably so, the pecan crop is about a third of normal here.

We mentioned some days ago that the nut crop seems to be heavier than
usual this year, and speculated that the trees were responding to drought
stress by producing more nuts to ensure continuation of the species. With
that in mind, how do I account for the fact that the pinecone production
is
way off. I usually pick up garbage bags full at this time of the year to
use
in holiday decorations and as fire-starters. This year I could only find a
dozen or so. Fortunately I have bags of them stashed away, but wonder
why the poor production. Of course, this could be their way or reacting
to the drought, too. Just curious.
Auralie

--
Pam Evans