Re: Yoo Hoo Dave! hibs

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: [CHAT] Re: Yoo Hoo Dave! hibs
  • From: Jesse Bell silverhawk@flash.net
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 07:22:26 -0800 (PST)

HEY DAVE!! I brought my hib indoors about 3 weeks ago. And I took your
advise and fed my hib while it was outside this summer (Maxicrop) and
NOW...it has blooms all over it! I'm so excited!!!!

And now...question on trimming hibs.  How much and where should you trim them?  This one is beginning to get a little gangly.

David Franzman <dfranzma@pacbell.net> wrote:
Hi Barb

Mine go out again in late April or early May. Sitting outside in cold rain
is just as bad as actually freezing. So, for you in Grass Valley I would
wait until mid to late May. I don't know what your nighttime temps are
there. Honestly we can't give hibs what they prefer here in Cal. What they
prefer is between 60 and 90. All we can do is the best we can do. They do
just fine with our climate but because we have drier air we have more
extreme temp ranges on a daily basis. Our plants will never grow as quickly
as those who have very warm nightime temps. Here in Santa Rosa we usually
have nighttime temps in the low 50's or high 40's. But, we don't have the
range of critters that others have to contend with nor do we have the fungal
problems that other areas have. So there is a trade-off. You can do well
with these anywhere. You just have to make adjustments for your area.