Re: Storms and after

It's been balmy here today alternate sun and clouds and temperatures in the
low 70s.  So far it as been a pretty mild fall.  We've had a couple of very
frosts - just enough to kill off impatiens and cause the Gingko biloba to
its leaves, but not enough to take out hardier things like petunias.  About an
hour ago, a violent wind and rain storm swept through - only lasted about 20
minutes.  Now the temperature is dropping rapidly - already down into the
40s, and a hard frost is predicted tonight.  Oh well, it's time for it.  We
have killing frosts in mid-October - sometimes even in late September.  I
know what this means about the coming winter - if anything,  I'm glad I got
my bulbs in a couple of weeks ago.

Thank goodness we have had enough rain to let trees and shrubs go into the
winter well watered.  I was seriously worried after our severe summer drought,
but ten straight days of rain made a big difference.  We've had several good
showers since then, too.  Hope Pam gets some soon.

We have had fires in the fireplace for the past several evenings - as much
for pleasure as for warmth.  I have put the heat on in my office a few times -
I find myself getting chilled if I sit at the computer too long.  Not too good
for aching old bones.