Vanda Orchid and Chondroryncha

For you orchid growers, particularly those of indoor orchids, although Island Jim, I'm sure you'll have good info too.
I have a large Vanda that is doing well, but I've read conflicting
information. It is in a basket, and when I bought it the roots were
totally exposed, no growing media at all. So, I put some bark and moss
around it, and it did fine, although some of the lower roots died and it
grew higher ones, which they do anyway according to my reading. So then
I read that they prefer their roots totally exposed and you just have to
make sure you keep it misted religiously.

So, I took the bark and stuff out. Yesterday, I read in another book
that they like some coarse stuff around the roots. What to do? It seems
to do OK either way, but I would think in the wild it would have SOME
type of stuff around the roots, even if only to anchor itself.

I also have a very small (3 inch pot) orchid called a Chondrorhyncha. I
cannot find it in my books. What does it like and what does it do? I
can't even recall where this one came from.

Petersburg IL
Zone 5

Andrea H
Petersburg, IL