Re: Long weekend here, and...

james singer wrote:

Been meaning to ask our orchid farmers--Scottie, Cathy, Jim--about cattleya orchids. Are they epiphytes? I tied an "orchid rescue" cattleya to the trunk of a ponytail palm about 18 months ago. It is putting out new growth in two or three places but no roots that I can detect.
Yes indeed, Cattleya are epiphytes. In fact, it's the rare orchid that
isn't such (and so are said to be 'terrestrial'). There are some outliers
which grow on rocks in patches of moss/detritus, such as Brazilian
Laelias.
-jrf
--
Jim Fisher