RE: Well...it's cold!!! What is the best time to prune?

I doubt we'll get much warming in January or February.  That's usually when
we get our deepest snow cover.  By December, we should have ground freezing,
though that sometimes is the case in mid-November as well.

About the warmest we could hope for in Jan or Feb is low 30 to mid 30's with
an occasional 40 F high, if at all.  It all depends on the year's weather
pattern.  Last year was warmer than usual, but with more snow than the
previous year.  We had more freeze and thaw and I saw more ground heave than
I like.  (I've already put down a nice layer of shredded leaf mulch to try
to keep the ground from heaving this winter in the flower beds.  Goodness
knows with all the trees we have, there is no shortage of leaves to shred
and the winds tend to bring us the neighbors' leaves as well.  I keep
finding oak leaves mixed into the leaves on the ground and I haven't seen an
oak tree anywhere closer than a block away.  We'll have more shredded
tomorrow, I'm sure, now that only the honeysuckle tree has leaves.  The
beautiful tulip tree dropped all its leaves between last night and this
morning, making the ground a rich gold.  All that remains on it are the
skeletons of its seed heads.)

Thanks for the advice!  I'll wait until deeper into the winter then, to be
on the safe side.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)