Re: gardenchat DIGEST V1 #207

No clue, haven't tested in years.  I just know that out here we are  more
alkaline (naturally) than in Houston.  We are drier (according to  stats, average
8 inches less rainfall a year than downtown Houston), and  can't grow
azaleas, etc. like they do in East or downtown Houston.  I see  it too on the plants
that are native...we tend to have more of the Central and  south Texas plants
here, rather than East Texas.    I put down  coffee grounds and used Miracid
constantly when I tried to grow Azaleas and  Hydrangeas....totally gave up,
they never did well.  Can't grow most native  plants to East Texas either.   I
have my Camelias in pots, and any  other acid loving plant.....only way I can
grow them.   Not sure if  the Beautyberry needs acidic soil, just assumed that
had to be it.   I  don't have any problems with any other plants that like
neutral or alkaline  soil.
Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast

In a message dated 11/5/2006 11:02:22 PM Central Standard Time,