Re: Well, it's wet.....beautyberry.....plant sale

Rains again!!!   Not as bad as though as in the east of  Houston, where they
still haven't recovered from the last rains.  Did bring  in some staghorns and
the Dischidia though, that don't need to be overly  soaked this late in the
year, even though the temps are still warm.
Well, we cannot grow dogwoods here in the west, oaks grow  well....don't have
any, not enough room.  Do grow Pines (only a few do  well) and Parsely
hawthorne, but they are in full sun.  Not familiar  with sparkleberry unless it is
same as Farkleberry....cannot grow this or  viburnums well here.  Cherry
Laurels do not grow well here either.   All these grow well just east of me though.
 I had it planted both  times in part shade, once in an area where I grow
some ferns (mostly tropicals  though, and only the woodfern is native).  The
other time under a  maple.  Oh well, perhaps one day I will try again, but for
now, there are  other plants (unfortunately non-native) that do well.
Recently got a Heliconia stricta cv. Dwarf Jamaican , and a Golden Torch
Heliconia.  Had tried a Giant lobsterclaw (H. rostrata) some years ago  but it
didn't make it.  Since then a friend talked me into H.  latispatha...said to be
one of the hardiest, it does very well...so I figured  I'd try a couple more.
LOL  Got my mom a dwarf Cavendish banana.   She should not have a problem
harvesting these bananas without a ladder, not  like her old banana she had.  He
also had a praying hand banana for sale,  but it was way too tall for mom.
Had a chance to get a custard  apple, Jim, but no name, and wasn't that familiar
with this fruit....so figured  I'd do some research first.
Orchids are blooming up a storm, as are the Billbergia and Guzmania
bromeliads (they like cooler weather).  Dwarf white Orchid tree (Bauhinia  acuminata)
has been blooming all year.  I'm very pleased with this species  in comparison
to others.  The blooms are huge, especially in comparison to  the size of the
tree, and blooms much longer than the others too.  No  signs of anything
going dormant yet.
That's about all the news from soggy Houston.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 11/6/2006 11:03:01 AM Central Standard Time,