Re: Those of you who write

Hello Bonnie,
I really do not want to discourage your friend who is looking for another avenue in the hort trade.
First up... good background, but. Can she write and does she truly enjoy that aspect? The two do not naturally follow each other. If the answer is yes and she is one of the best writers out there....
No writer I know, or know of, is making a living at writing only. There is very little financial reward in garden writing. In the last few years all the amateurs who want to see their name on the internet or in print have given their work away or signed all their rights away through ignorance or ...glut brought all the prices down for everyone. Very little professionalism remains in the publishing trade any more... and this is not coming from an old discontent.
There are few good national gardening magazines out there now and literally thousands of garden writers wanting to get in the door. Competition is very fierce.
Having said that.... same advice as with any ganra of writing... know you subject and have some thing to say, then say it. Study where you want your work to be published and submit accordingly. Write editors of each magazine and ask for writing guidelines. Follow those guidelines.
I wish your friend all the luck in the world.. also keep looking.. many of the nurseries we are aware of are expanding... not pulling back. We had or very best year ever.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

I met a woman with a degree in horticulture and 17 years of Landscape Design
in her background, now working in a very confining indoor job. She appears
to be very knowledgeable, but has been laid off from 3 companies in 3 years
because nurseries in the area are downsizing.

I wonder if those of you who write articles could give her some advice on
how to submit garden articles to newspapers and magazines.

Blessings,
Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)