From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:25 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Those of you who write

Agree completely, Gene.

First, if one is not a writer, one should find a JC class in "freelance" or
"article" writing or some such and see if they can cut it. Most people have
no idea how difficult writing is--this should give them a clue.

Second, one needs to study the market. Not peruse it--but really study it.
You need to understand the trends and be smart enough to know what's old
news.

Unfortunately, Gene is on the mark when he says the media is overrun by
amateurs. And most of them are cherry-picking their facts from the same
internet sources, with the upshot being that same-old-old-same-old gets
recycled over and over.

To pretend to be upbeat--if it was moi, I would find a local weekly or
semi-weekly newspaper that did not have a garden writer and try to spend a
year or two telling nice, well-meaning idiots, why their rose of sharon
turned brown in September.

n Nov 8, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Gene Bush wrote:

> Hello Bonnie,
>    I really do not want to discourage your friend who is looking for
> another avenue in the hort trade.
>    First up... good background, but. Can she write and does she truly
> enjoy that aspect? The two do not naturally follow each other. If the
> answer is yes and she is one of the best writers out there....
>    No writer I know, or know of, is making a living at writing only.
> There is very little financial reward in garden writing. In the last
> few years all the amateurs who want to see their name on the internet
> or in print have given their work away or signed all their rights away
> through ignorance or ...glut brought all the prices down for everyone.
> Very little professionalism remains in the publishing trade any
> more... and this is not coming from an old discontent.
>    There are few good national gardening magazines out there now and
> literally thousands of garden writers wanting to get in the door.
> Competition is very fierce.
>    Having said that.... same advice as with any ganra of writing...
> know you subject and have some thing to say, then say it. Study where
> you want your work to be published and submit accordingly. Write
> editors of each magazine and ask for writing guidelines. Follow those
> guidelines.
>    I wish your friend all the luck in the world.. also keep looking..
> many of the nurseries we are aware of are expanding... not pulling
> back. We had or very best year ever.
>    Gene E. Bush
> Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
> www.munchkinnursery.com
> genebush@munchkinnursery.com
> Zone 6/5  Southern Indiana
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan"
> <wmorgan972@ameritech.net>
>> I met a woman with a degree in horticulture and 17 years of Landscape
>> Design in her background, now working in a very confining indoor job.
>> She appears to be very knowledgeable, but has been laid off from 3
>> companies in 3 years because nurseries in the area are downsizing.
>>
>> I wonder if those of you who write articles could give her some
>> advice on how to submit garden articles to newspapers and magazines.
>>
>> Blessings,
>> Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

Island Jim
Southwest Florida